Thursday, February 12, 2009

Chewy on the Inside, Crunchy on the Edges

For years, we ate entirely too many chocolate chip cookies from The Read Cafe in Williamsburg. Since moving from Brooklyn, it's been a quiet obsession of mine to figure out how to replicate their most delicious chewy-middle-crispy-edged cookies. With a little tweaking of a couple recipes, I have come pretty close. Here is where my recipe stands. If I get it even better (I'd love for them to spread out a little bit more) I will update you promptly. These things matter!

2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 c brown sugar, packed
1/2 c white sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs, room temperature
2 1/3 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp hot water
1/2 tsp salt
2 c chocolate chips

preheat the oven to 350 degrees. cream together the butter and sugar in a bowl. stir in the vanilla and eggs. mix the baking soda in the hot water and then add to the mix. in another bowl mix together the flour and salt. stir the flour and salt into the wet mixture. stir in chocolate chips. chill for 30 minutes at least.

get a heaping tablespoon (or more, if you are like me) and flatten them on the pan. they don't spread out much, so you should press them pretty flat. bake for 13 minutes, or until they are good and brown on the edges. let them cool on the sheet for a few minutes, then place on a cooling rack. 

I made a few, and put the rest of the dough in the refrigerator. Three days later, the dough bakes up even better. A friend tells me this lets all the wet ingredients mingle. 

3 comments:

Lisa said...

MMMMMMM....these look delicious! I have been looking for the perfect choc. chip cookie recipe. We are going to try these. Thanks for sharing and I love the tip about keeping the dough in the fridge for a few days.

Unknown said...

I could never keep dough in my fridge. I love to eat cookie dough, it is one of my favorite foods.

Peggy said...

Lisa, when you are back from vacation, def give these a try. I am still really happy with them. I think this is the recipe for me. Leigh, the dough works for me better in the fridge. I find that making them 4 at a time causes me to eat them 4 at a time. I somehow can control myself with the dough, but once they are baked I lose my mind.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs